By learning how to save money in stores for groceries, toiletries, and cleaners, you can also begin your journey to million-dollar life. The only true failure would be never to start. Here are some tips to save money in the store, whether you’re destined to be a Savings Queen or not. If you apply a few of these tips, you could save up to 50 percent and if you apply most of them, you could cut your food bill by as much as 80 percent. Here are some of the best tips to transform you from a coupon commoner to a Coupon Queen.
- The List: Research indicates if you shop with a list and stick to it you are likely to spend as much as 30 percent less than listless (pun intended) shoppers. The exception could be when you can get items for pennies (or free) that are not on your list—get these anyway!
- Impulse “Buy-Buy” Guys: Using a list has a second benefit: researchers show that the typical consumer spends almost $100 per hour while shopping a discount department store, grocery store, or discount club. In other words, the more time you have to window-shop, the more money you’ll spend. Just think, spending thirty minutes more in a store can cost you $50! So get in and get out of there as quickly as possible and say bye-bye to impulse buys.
- Store Directory: Make your list according to aisle order and you’ll save even more time and money. By shopping according to aisle order, you won’t become a grocery nomad—wandering back and forth while you look for that last item on your list. Go to the customer service desk at the store you frequent and ask them for a map of the store. These are usually called an aisle order chart, store directory, or store map.
- Price Comping: Many stores including Wal-Mart Superstores, will match competitors’ sale prices. Check and see which stores do this in your area, not the store and sale price on your list, bring those sales circulars with you, and then ask the checker for the lowest price. This tip takes only minutes and saved our family over #3,500 last year because it can also apply to anything in the store (electronics, household goods, etc.). It also saves time and gas.
- Tune Out and Cash In: Watch fewer television commercials. A recent consumer report indicated that couch potatoes are far more likely to overspend at the store for each one minute commercial the watch die to the marketing effects of this medium—to the tune of an average of $260 per hour! Keep in mind that this dollar figure includes everything from Skittles and Diet Coke to a new car or luxury item.
- Savings 101: Buy products when they are on sale. This may sound elementary and it is, but you’d be surprised at how many people do not take advantage of sales. They’re “too busy” to shop the sales, or when something goes on sale, the think, Well, I still have some of that at home, I don’t need it now. Get the sale ads in your weekly paper and make your list according to what is on sale. Be sure and put your list in aisle order and save the sale ads for your price comping trips.
- Sale Awareness: Don’t give in to “impulse buying” for sales. If the discount is only 10 percent, then think twice about giving in to the urge to buy the product simply because it’s on sale. The exception would be if the item is needed immediately—in that case, you can be grateful for the fact you’ve saved 10 percent rather than nothing!
- Loss Leaders: Shop the loss leaders. These are items in the sale circular that the store is selling for less than their cost in order to get the consumer into the store. If you come in to buy the $.99 chicken breasts, then chances are good you’ll go ahead and pick up another thirty items you “need” while you’re in the store.
- Go Online for More Savings: Online has so many opportunities to save from food to prescription drugs to clothes. Check out the chart below from http://www.wow-coupons.com/ for great guide to saving money on and offline:
|Wow Coupons Grocery
|FREE Grocery printable coupons site! Many many grocery printable coupons from top brands.|
|Hopster||Hopster maximizes savings on your favorite household brands by allowing you to customize your coupons. Getting started with Hopster is easy. Print a few FREE coupons. Start a quest and complete fun activities to unlock exclusive higher-value coupons.|
|Coupon Bar||Download our FREE CouponBar and get quick and easy access to dozens of coupons on your favorite brand name products!|
|FreeFlys||Get FREE samples from top name brands! Cheap is good, but FREE is better!|
|SavingStar||FREE eCoupons – new way to shop! Select the eCoupons you like and they’ll link them to your store loyalty cards! Use your loyalty card at checkout. Your money is automatically added to your SavingStar account!|
|RedPlum||FREE Grocery printable coupons site! Many many grocery printable coupons from top brands. More savings!|
|SmartSource||FREE Grocery printable coupons site! More savings!|
|Entertainment||Members love Entertainment® because it is the most convenient way to access exclusive discounts and coupons in their area. Enjoy your life more with savings on the things you love to do.|
|Couponizer||Portable system for organizing, storing, and accessing coupons! Get FREE compact mirror w/order!|
|SavingsAngel||Save on groceries now with help from SavingsAngel. Get “Extreme Couponing” deals without the extreme lifestyle. Each week, an army of nearly 100 angels compiles store sales, manufacturer coupons, offers, rebates and promotions. $2.50 a week membership.|
|Coupon Clippers||Buy grocery coupons! Get exactly what you need!|
|Select Coupon Program||Join Susan Samtur’s Select Coupon Program today to receive $25 in FREE coupons. Afterwards you can buy and sell grocery coupons!|
|eBay||eBay is the world’s largest online marketplace, where practically anyone can buy and sell practically anything. Buy Grocery coupons at eBay!|
|MySavings FREE Samples||Find various FREE Samples and product samples to give consumers the opportunity to try their latest and greatest product lines.|
|Quality Health FREE Samples||Receive FREE coupons, discounts, and special offers from leading brand name pharmaceutical and packaged goods companies. FREE Samples!|
|FREE CookBook||100 Diabetes-friendly FREE Recipes.|
|FREE Prescription-Savings DPRxCard Card||FREE Prescription-savings Drug Card – for everyone– 10% to 60% savings on most medications. Over 48,000 national and regional pharmacy chain stores. Valid at pharmacies: Target, Walgreens, CVS, RiteAid, Costco, Pathmark, and many others.|
|Pharmacy Discount Network – FREE Prescription-Savings||Sign up and receive a FREE discount drug card to save up to 75% on prescription drugs. It’s good at over 65,000 drug stores: Albertsons, CVS, Costco, Eckerd, Kmart, Duane Reade, Target, Walmart, Safeway, Walgreens, Publix, RiteAid.|
|Sign up and receive up to 75% FREE with the pharmacy savings coupons from YourRxCoupons.|
|You & Your Family||
|Multiple printable coupons from few brands. Palmer’s Cocoa Butter & more|
|Multiple printable coupons from Colgate-Palmolive brand.|
|Internet Drug Coupons.com||FREE database of 216 downloadable coupons for prescription drugs,
non-prescription drugs, and medicines for pets.
|Printable coupons from few brands: JET-DRY, ELECTRASOL, LYSOL, etc .|
|Procter & Gamble||
|Enjoy the latest samples and coupons from P&GbrandSAMPLER, a member benefit of P&G Everyday Solutions..|
|Right @ Home||
|SC Johnson offers great home-care products you use every day, like Windex®, Glade®, Scrubbing Bubbles®, Ziploc®, Pledge®, Raid®, etc.|
|Organic grocery food printable coupons.|
|Organic Valley Soy, Milk and other printable coupons.|
|Organic and Healthy grocery food printable coupons.|
America’s Family Financial Expert ®